shopping for inspiration

Monday, July 2, 2012















I try to avoid malls and big box discount stores as much as I can.  I easily get disheartened by modern society's insatiable appetite for consumption.  The mix of mass manufacturing and instant gratification has become a dangerous cocktail for today's consumers.  We fill our homes with things that lack handcrafted tradition or thoughtful production, and, by the end of the day, we still find ourselves longing for a connection to others and this world.



Only buy what you love.



This was the motto of our retail store that carried handmade goods by independent designers.  As shop owners we likened ourselves to storytellers who sought to connect our customers with the stories and the makers of our products.  I believe it is this connection that gives a product its true value.



When I shop, I'm always looking for the history of the product.  Many of the items that I purchase actually come from second-hand sellers.  Shown above are some of the used things I picked up this past weekend at estate sales.  In general, I try to only bring home items that inspire me to take action (draw, cook, garden, etc.). 




/// recent finds ///


classic books, including two Pearl Buck early editions


a vintage Kodak Retina in near perfect condition


linoleum cutter set in its original box


yarn remnants for a new zigzag blanket I started


vintage backpack for hiking// whoops! snipped the fabric when opening the package . . . 


mended by affixing triangle patches




No comments:

Post a Comment