new print: it was just a dream

Wednesday, January 25, 2012










I tend to have very vivid dreams.  Sometimes I'll spend the first waking moments recounting the stirring details of my dreams to my husband, who, in turn, does a remarkable job pretending to be interested.



My dreams play out like a chase sequence in Bourne Identity or an elaborate storyline from an epic film.  And then there's the perpetual teacher's nightmare- standing in front of a classroom without a lesson plan.  Not sure why I still have this dream seeing that I left teaching many years ago. 



Sometimes the most evocative moment happens before the REM cycle.  While falling asleep and with my eyes closed, there are times when I can see an electrifying display of colors.  The colors are bright and captivating, and before I can think too much about it, I am fast asleep.  Yesterday, I was reminded of this nocturnal chromatic phenomenon when I started working on my latest print design, It was just a dream



I find beautiful dreams are the hardest to remember, or, at least, retain.  With my new work I wanted to capture just a split moment of tranquility and bliss found in a beautiful dream.



To create the soft, blurred effects of this piece, I used pastels.  I haven't used pastels (particularly oil pastels) as much as I would have liked to the past year, because I've been focusing on acrylics.  If you've been following my 30 works in 30 days project, you may have noticed that I like to work with a variety of art materials.  I'm realizing from this personal endeavor that I am ready to explore further the use of different mediums, like pastels, in my art.




No comments:

Post a Comment