New work, "Sea"

Friday, May 21, 2010



This week I decided to "recycle/reuse" one of my older monoprints.  There was one that reminded me of the ocean, and I felt compelled to add some patterns and details to it.  The new work is titled Sea, and, measuring at 18" x 24", it's the largest mixed media piece I've completed in the last six months. 





Lately, I've been experimenting with flattened features in relation to three-dimensional qualities.  With this particular piece, I wanted to create a multi-viewing experience, kinda like looking at a fish bowl.  I wanted the viewer to feel as if they were underwater and also looking at the water from above.  To help with this interplay of perspectives, I added some tiny leaves that are falling onto the surface of the water.  





The pattern of ovals can be viewed as a ground or a structure.  I drew each circle by hand with a pen and then filled in the spaces with a small brush and black ink.  It was tedious but therapeutic at the same time.



Although time-consuming, I enjoyed working at the larger scale.  And I'm all for taking art work that I'm not sentimental about and reworking it into a new piece.  I already have ideas for the next monoprint make-over! 





No comments:

Post a Comment