Stumped

Thursday, April 15, 2010



Here is a closeup of the 30 in. x 40 in. oil painting I have been working on (first mentioned in this post). In February, I decided to paint over a French landscape that I had started many years ago.  Painting over a nearly completed work (of 50+ invested hours) may seem ludicrous to some, but it was actually quite liberating.  I painted over the entire canvas in white so that I could see the textured layers of paint more clearly.  From there, I painted squares in a cornucopia of colors.  And, as you can see from the picture above, I like to apply paint very liberally.  To give the painting more dimension, I coated the entire painting with a thick glossy medium tinted with black paint. 



I really like how the black paint "dirtied" the painting, and I am pleased with the look of the high gloss.  A glossy surface helps define details in a work, which is true in photography as well.  The reflection of the light created by the gloss highlights the different ridges and layers of paint.  To create a dynamic interplay of dimensional qualities, I'm going to paint a flattened design on top of the gloss.  The line design will only be in one color and in a matte finish.  I'm excited to see how it turns out, but this is the step that I've been stuck at for the last month.  I can't seem to decide which direction to go, so I need your help!



Below are three different ideas that I sketched yesterday.  I would love to think which one you think is the winner.  Any other ideas are also welcomed!



1.  Scattered patterns.  Couldn't help but think rainbows.  I like the juxtaposition of the curved lines to the geometric pattern in the background. 





2.  Stylized landscape. (The straight lines might be tricky with the textured surface.  I might have to use tape to get clean and straight edges.  Tedious but could be a cool effect.)





3.  Allover pattern.  I also thought about doing an allover pattern in this style showing flowers.



What is your vote?



No comments:

Post a Comment