working with water soluble crayons

Monday, February 20, 2012







A few weekends ago, I picked up a set of water soluble crayons at an estate sale for $1.  They are the Neocolor II crayons from Caran d'Ache.  I've been a fan of Caran d'Ache's oil pastels for over 20 years now, so I was curious to see how the aquarelle crayons compared. 











When applied dry, the crayons act a lot like wax crayons, except they are denser and richer in color.  The magic happens when you add water.  Just look at the vibrancy and easy blending of color when a wet brush is applied! 











The Neocolor II crayons work beautifully on canvas panel, and I've used them on wood panel, too.  Here is a work in progress.  I used the water soluble crayons for the yellow moon.  I like that I can layer other mediums on top, which is a little trickier to do with oil pastels. 











I keep my crayons sorted in a metal slide storage box that I found at the estate sale.  I already added some new colors to my collection. 











Aquarelle crayons are a wonderful material for kids, too.  My daughter used them to make her valentine's card design. 













No comments:

Post a Comment